Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Camping in Gettysburg

This past weekend we had our second camping trip of the season to Artillery Ridge Campground in Gettysburg. Our first had been Mountain Creek, which I did not get a chance to blog about. I had been watching the weather forecast 10 days in advance, hoping for a weekend full of sunshine. It was almost perfect....Friday rained all day and it had been raining for several days prior to this. The ground was completely soaked, and it was a little cool for this time of year. I took off work at 2 and picked up the kiddos from day care. Jimmy had gotten off around lunch time and finished up last minute packing. By 3:30 we were on the road. We started setting up, which went fairly smoothly. We were, however, dissapointed with our site, which we picked the weekend before!! It had to have been the muddiest site there. We had choosen it because our original site was pretty small and we would have had a hard time getting the slides out as well as the awning. This site was so muddy that when I got out of the truck I sunk almost to my ankles! This made it very difficult to keep the camper clean with two kids and a dog. Almost impossible. This was the point that I realized I definitely need to keep more more old towels and paper towels in the camper. We were almost set up when Jimmy noticed that the carpet was wet around the front corner of the slide. This in combination with being very annoyed that we could not get satellite reception due to all the trees, caused, well lets just say, a bit of frustration. Where the heck was the water coming from? In addition to this, the fan on the air conditioner decided it didn't want to work followed by the check light coming on the fridge (which turned out to be fine). We also had two hungry children by this time. I started making hamburgers and mac and cheese for the kids while Jimmy sweated and cursed finished setting up. BTW, the water was coming from a small crack in the slide that we found when we got home and Jimmy has since caulked). It was pretty much a wash out on Friday night. We stayed in and watched the 4 or 5 channels we could get from the antenna (life is rough!). Here are some pics....








Saturday morning was cloudy to start but the sun did start peeking through the clouds and things started drying out. We went to the playground and hung out at the camper until after lunch. We took the kids to the pool and were quite surpised how much Cody enjoyed himself. It took a little convincing, but once he was in, you couldn't get him out. We then headed over to the Kiddie Carnival and the kids had fun with the dime toss, duck pond, and balloon maker. Cody got an octopus and Hannah wanted a penguin. My parents stopped by to visit around dinner time. We played a few games and built a fire, roasted sausages, and ate, ate, ate. Hannah toasted some marshmellows. Later the kids watched Cars in the camper and Jimmy and I had a good time sitting by the fire and just talking. On Sunday everyone slept in, which was much needed. I made breakfast-eggs, hashbrowns, and toast. We started packing up and headed home. It was a great weekend. Now the countdown begins to Frontier Town!








1 comment:

Angie said...

Hi Angie!! Thanks for the comment you left on my blog! I love your camping post, we LOVE to camp! Hopefully we can get our family a camper someday...the tent sure does get hot here in TX!! Have a great weekend :)